EXPECTING THE EXPECTED: On the day this podcast episode releases, so too does the newest cinematic installment of the main Star Wars series with Star Wars – Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker. But Andrew and D. aren’t here to talk about the movie––they haven’t seen it yet. Instead, they’re here to talk about the talk about the movie, specifically the rather surprising amount of negative reviews coming from––not internet trolls––professional film reviewers. It leads to a multi-faceted conversation about expectations, fandom, and even the changing landscape of cinema narratives.
- Dowd, A. A. “The Rise of Skywalker Rebalances Star Wars Into a Force of Safe, Familiar Fan Service.” AV Club. G/O Media, 18 Dec. 2019.
- Robinson, Tasha. “Review: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a Defeat, Even in Moments of Triumph.” Polygon. Vox Media, 18 Dec. 2019.
- Episode 151 – The Coca-Cola of Science Fiction (29 Dec. 2017): Where Andrew and D. are joined by friend-of-the-show, Jason Tudor, to talk about their late takes on Star Wars – Episode VIII: The Last Jedi.
- Shortcast 61 – All-New, All-Same (29 June 2018): Where D. and Andrew talk about Lucasfilm putting their “A Star Wars Story” series on on hold after the failure of Solo: A Star Wars Story in theaters (possibly due to the meddling of internet jerkbags).
- Empty Justice (01 March 2019): Where Andrew and D. document the attempted review bombing (and Rotten Tomatoes‘ subsequent change in review policy) of Captain Marvel.
- Constitutional Role-Play (15 Nov. 2019): Where Andrew gives his first-blush impressions of Disney+’s The Mandalorian.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- Social: Andrew – Twitter & Instagram, D. Bethel – Twitter & Instagram
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store or on Spotify.