OBI-WAN KE-NOPE-Y: It was made known that Lucasfilm has put its anthology series, subtitled A Star Wars Story, on hold after the lower box office of The Last Jedi and, most recently, Solo. While the cause hasn’t been confirmed, there are a few factors to look at, one of which could be the box office performance of these films. Another, more sinister, reason has to do with the cultural backlash to Rogue One, The Last Jedi, and Solo. A segment on the internet is convinced that Lucasfilm has a political agenda it wants to push and it’s using the Star Wars series to do so. These dissenters have responded in a few interesting ways: some have banded together and made an official decree to “destroy” Lucasfilm, others have started a crowdfunding/social media campaign in order to remake The Last Jedi. Either way, it’s a complicated issue that Andrew and D. Bethel try to find the knots of.
- Bacon, Thomas. “Solo: A Star Wars Story Can Beat the Hate.” ScreenRant, 09 Apr. 2018.
- Verhoeven, Beatric. “Alt-Right: We ‘Rigged’ Last Jedi Low Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score.” The Wrap, 21 Dec. 2017.
- Weintraub, Steve. “Exclusive: Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm.” Collider, Complex Media, 20 Jun. 2018.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- E-mail: Andrew – firstname.lastname@example.org, D. Bethel – email@example.com
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store.
For all intents and purposes, that was an episode recap.
-“District Four” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
-“Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
*Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License