WEEK IN GEEK: Andrew takes another dip into the Humble Bundle and comes out playing Renowned Explorers: International Society while Dan gets nostalgic (again) playing Disney Afternoon Collection.
LUDO-NARRATIVE DISSONANCE: Noted video game critic, Ian Bogost, got blood boiling when he wrote the salaciously titled, “Video Games Are Better Without Stories,” for The Atlantic. D. and Andrew investigate the argument Bogost is making––its good points and its flaws––while also talking about why people play games in the first place. Dan talked about Ian Bogost’s book, How to Talk About Video Games, back in “Episode 76 – Beepop.”
- This Saturday is Free Comic Book Day! Go get free comics!
- If you live in the capital region of California, head to Empire’s Comics Vault and participate in their Free Comic Book Day Festival at which D. Bethel will be exhibiting his creative wares!
- Bogost, Ian. “Video Games Are Better Without Characters.” The Atlantic. The Atlantic Monthly Group, 13 March 2015.
- Bogost, Ian. “Video Games Are Better Without Stories.” The Atlantic. The Atlantic Monthly Group, 25 April 2017.
- Deneroff, Harvey. “Brad Bird: Animation is Not a Genre.” Deneroff.com. 12 June 2012.
- Klepek, Patrick. “Video Games Don’t Have a Choice But to Tell Stories.” Waypoint. Vice Media, 25 April 2017.
- Scrappy-Doo and the Hickman Revolution.” Grognardia. 04 December 2008. , James. “
- Sarkeesian, Anita. “A Message from Anita on the End of Tropes.” Feminist Frequency. 27 April 2017.
- Wolk, Douglas Wolk. Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean. Da Capo Press, 2007.
- Zacny, Rob. “Storytelling in Stellaris Leaves Too Much to the Imagination.” Waypoint. Vice Media, 17 April 2017.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- E-mail: Andrew – email@example.com, D. Bethel – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store.
For all intents and purposes, that was an episode recap.
-“Stayin’ in Black” by Wax Audio