Episode 156 – River City Rampage
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
It’s the return of NERD LAW!
A MARVELOUS MONSTER: After a long gestation and some delays, Disney has officially acquired 20th Century Fox assets, comprising of Fox’s film and tv properties. This means everything from the Alien franchise to Bob’s Burgers and even The Simpsons are now owned by Disney. Of course, for comic book fans and fans of comic book movies, the biggest part of this deal means that the X-Men and the Fantastic Four film rights are now under Disney/Marvel control. But it’s a much bigger––and more complicated––deal than just the superhero franchises and make some people a little nervous.
WHAT NINTENDON’T: Emulation software has been on the internet for at least twenty years at this point, allowing people to download and play often near-perfect versions of games from the NES, SNES, and many other classic consoles. While playing emulated games have always been legally murky, Nintendo’s big legal smackdown of a few emulator and ROM sites in particular have really shaken the whole community in more ways than one.
- Episode 80 – Alien Control Party: Where D. and Andrew discuss the attempts made to archive video games.
- Shortcast 48 – My Smokey Timbre: Where Andrew and D. more recently discuss not only archiving works but revisions and re-releases of them.
- Episode 155 – Captain Host: Where Andrew and D. talk about there being too many blockbuster movies during the Summer 2018 season.
- Arnsdorf, Isaac. “The Shadow Rulers of the VA.” ProPublica. Pro Publica Inc, 07 Aug. 2018.
- Dingman, Hayden. “Nintendo’s Ridiculous War on ROMs Threatens Gaming History.” PC World. IDG Communications, 11 Aug. 2018.
- Fenlon, Wes. “The Ethics of Emulation: How Creators, the Community, and the Law View Console Emulators.” PC Gamer. Future US, 28 Mar. 2017.
- Fleming Jr., Mike. “Deadpool‘s Rob Liefeld Takes His Extreme Universe to Netflix in Splashy Deal.” Deadline. Penske Business Media LLC., 08 Mar. 2018.
- Kohler, Chris. “In Defense of ROMS, a Solution to Dying Games and Broken Copyright Laws.” Kotaku. Gizmodo Media Group, 14 Aug. 2018.’
- “Netflix Acquires Millarworld.” Netflix. 07 Aug. 2017.
- Schreier, Jason. “Nobody Can Find the Source Code for Icewind Dale II.” Kotaku. Gizmodo Media Group, 07 Jul. 2018.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- E-mail: Andrew – firstname.lastname@example.org, D. Bethel – email@example.com
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store.
For all intents and purposes, that was an episode recap.
-“Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
-“District Four” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
*Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License