TO ME, MY LITIGATORS: Eyebrows raised recently when a Florida man sued Marvel, Fox, Saban Entertainment, and many other production companies saying that the generation-defining theme song of the ’90s X-Men animated show actually plagiarized a strikingly similar theme of a popular Hungarian tv show from the 1980s. Nerd Law man, Andrew, and X-Men fanatic, D. Bethel, put their heads together to see if this case has any legs to stand on. (A big thanks to friend-of-the-show, André La Roche for his consultation on this topic.)
DISNEY PEMDAS: Last week, Disney made waves as it began an irresponsibly long Twitter thread announcing every title that would be available on its upcoming Disney+ service. D. Bethel and Andrew sort through the announcement, talking about how much this will shift the paradigm of entertainment consumption.
- Alexander, Leigh. “Report: Konami Didn’t Use Metal Gear Solid Theme In MGS4 Due to Plagiarism Accusations.” Gamasutra. Informa, 12 December 20018.
- Leight, Elias. “Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986.” Rolling Stone. Penske Business Media, 06 September 2019.
- Lovett, Jamie. “Marvel Sued For Allegedly Stealing X-Men: The Animated Series Theme Song.” Comic Book. CBS Interactive, 09 October 2019.
- Zoltan Krisko’s complaint against Marvel, et al.
- “This 80’s Song Inspired Mario’s Music.” YouTube, uploaded by Thomas Game Docs, 20 May 2019.
- Shortcast 03 – Interview with André La Roche (31 December 2014): the episode that featured our nerd legal consultant for this episode.
- New Dangers (20 September 2019): Our most recent episode talking about Disney and its strange machinations.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- Social: Andrew – Twitter & Instagram, D. Bethel – Twitter & Instagram
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store or on Spotify.
- “Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.filmmusic.io)
- “District Four” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.filmmusic.io)
- Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons BY Attribution 4.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
- “Nerd Law” by D. Bethel