Con Artists #04 – StocktonCon Winter 2019
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The lauded limited podcast series returns with a new episode as well as a fan-favorite co-host, Kyrun Silva of Taurus Comics as he and D. Bethel (check out his webcomic, Long John, and his podcast, A Podcast [ , ] For All Intents and Purposes) pair up to take on the first StocktonCon Winter show. This episode focuses on the strange space that indie creators inhabit, that realm between fan and professional and how those waters can get muddied, especially when it comes to reading and respecting creators from your childhood (there is a lot of Rob Liefeld talk in these conversations) to meeting your heroes as a creator in your own right.
CORRECTION: D. Bethel said that one of the Uncanny X-Men issues he had Jim Lee sign was #249; he meant to say it was #248. All apologies.
- Con Artists #01 – StocktonCon, pt. 1 : The drive home from the first day of the show. Kyrun and D. discuss making sales, confidence, and the comics they grew up reading and enjoying.
- Con Artists #02 – StocktonCon, pt. 2 : The drive to StocktonCon to start Day 2 of the show. They discuss the importance of continuity, the level of fan engagement and ownership over continuity, and Dan’s strange reading habits growing up.
- Con Artists #03 – StocktonCon, pt. 3 : Where Kyrun and D. talk about the breadth of indie comics, writing comics, and dive headfirst into personal nostalgia.
- Kyrun’s rendition of his #LiefeldPersona, GunForce:
- D. Bethel’s rendition of his #LiefeldPersona, Nightstrike:
- The panel from Frank Miller’s Rōnin that Rob Liefeld homaged in New Mutants #100:
- And, for what it’s worth, here is a photograph of a 13 year-old D. Bethel at 1994’s San Diego Comic Con showing Jim Lee the mysterious foil card in its snug plastic case:
Special thanks to Kyrun Silva for agreeing to being recorded and for driving us to and from the convention.
-Kyrun Silva of Taurus Comics
FEATURED RECORDING EQUIPMENT:
FEATURED EXISTENTIAL WESTERN WEBCOMIC:
-“Road Music” by D. Bethel
-“Bounce” by D. Bethel
3 thoughts on “Con Artists #04 – StocktonCon Winter 2019”