Podcast: Play in new window | Download
NEWS CRUISE: Andrew and D. Bethel cover a lot of different news stories this week, including the acceptance of NFTs in video games by Steam and the Epic Games Store; the workers of tabletop game developer, Paizo, form a union; developers who worked on Metroid Dread not seeing their names in the credits; Ruby Rose speaking up about their treatment on the set of Batwoman‘s first season; and some announcements made by DC during the DC Fandome event.
UPDATE: Venerated Metroid fansite, Shinesparkers, reached out to Metroid Dread developers, MercurySteam, for clarification on what qualified for crediting in the game, specifically with regard to what constitutes the “25% game dev time” and “significant creative contributions,” stating:
“A significant contribution might mean A LOT of things: from designing a playable character, writing dialogues, lore.. anything substantially important to the game. On the 25% this is something based on our experience. Of course it can be seen differently elsewhere.”
FURTHER UPDATE: Union issues with Paizo and its workers came to an agreement on Thursday, October 21, with Paizo officially recognizing the workers’ union.
- Craddock, Ryan. “Metroid Dread Staff Say They’ve Been Left Out of Game’s Credits, MercurySteam Responds.” NintendoLife, NLife Media, 14 October 2021.
- D’Anastasio, Cecilia. “Tabletop RPG Workers Say Their Jobs Are No Fantasy.” Wired, Condé Nast, 19 October 2021.
- Darren. “We Spoke to MercurySteam on Developer Credit in Metroid Dread.” Shinesparkers, 15 October 2021.
- “Day 8: Critical Success!” United Paizo Workers, 21 October 2021.
- Newton, Casey. “How NFTs Are Creating a Generational Divide Between Platforms.” The Verge, Vox Media, 20 October 2021.
- Patches, Matt. “Ruby Rose Details Batwoman Set’s Abusive Conditions, Severe Injuries.” Polygon, Vox Media, 20 October 2021.
- “Business Exempt” (19 October 2018): Where D. Bethel and Andrew talk about the first major attempt to unionize video game workers.
- “A Casualty of the Rhyme” (22 May 2020): Where our hosts, along with Taylor, talk about Ruby Rose’s sudden departure from Batwoman.
- “Milkbloods” (09 April 2021): When Andrew and D. Bethel first discussed the strange culture of NFTs.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- Social: Andrew – Twitter & Instagram, D. Bethel – Twitter & Instagram
- Find Taylor on Twitter and Instagram
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store or on Spotify.
- “Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod
- “District Four” by Kevin McLeod
- Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons BY Attribution 4.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)