Open Awesome License
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
TOUCHING MANY BUCKETS: Dungeons & Dragons is making waves with the announcement––and subsequent leak––of the update to its Open Game License, a system that is meant to lay out the relationship between Dungeons & Dragons and the content people create based on its game system. Based on the leaked information…it’s not going well. Thankfully, we have our nerd lawyer to walk us through the ins and outs of what is known so far.
- The only mention of this controversy from D&D‘s official Twitter account, D&D Beyond:
- A tweet from Sinopa Publishing discussing one of the points from the leaked OGL update:
- Asplund, Andrew. “Legal Issues in Gaming: The Open Game License.” Tales from the Gamer Viceroy, 19 December 2012.
- Codega, Linda. “Dungeons & Dragons‘ New License Tightens Its Grip on Competition.” Gizmodo, G/O media, 03 January 2023.
- Walsh, Kit. “Beware the Gifts of Dragons: How D&D’s Open Gaming License May Have Become a Trap for Creators.” Electronic Frontier Foundation, 10 January 2023.
- “Kamen Themes” (30 December 2022): Where our hosts last discussed this controversy…only two weeks ago.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- Social: Andrew – Mastodon, D. Bethel – Instagram
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- “Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod
- “District Four” by Kevin McLeod
- Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons BY Attribution 4.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- “Nerd Law” by D. Bethel