A BLIZZARD OF CONTROVERSY: Activision Blizzard––makers of such hit games as World of Warcraft, Overwatch, and Hearthstone––have hit a geo-political wall as they take a stance over controversial statements made by the winner of a Hearthstone tournament about the protests in Hong Kong against the People’s Republic of China. Andrew and D. Bethel investigate the complicated relationship between popular American entertainment and China.
- Carpenter, Nicole. “Protesters Are Trying to Get Overwatch Banned in China, Using Memes of Popular Hero Mei.” Polygon. Vox Media, 09 Oct. 2019.
- Gault, Matthew. “Blizzard’s Hong Kong Screw-Up Is Officially an International Incident.” Vice Games. Vice Media, 08 Oct. 2019.
- Klepek, Patrick. “We Talked to Hearthstone Pro Players Who Are Quitting the Game in Protest.” Vice Games. Vice Media, 09 Oct. 2019.
- Plunkett, Luke. “Blizzard Suspends Hearthstone Player for Hong Kong Support, Pulls Prize Money.” Kotaku. G/O Media, 08 Oct. 2019.
- Idealistic Ventures Based on Bad Premises (18 March 2016): Where Andrew and D. talked about a new Hearthstone expansion.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- Social: Andrew – Twitter & Instagram, D. Bethel – Twitter & Instagram
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store or on Spotify.
- “Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod
- “District Four” by Kevin McLeod
- Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons BY Attribution 4.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)