01 March 2019 – Empty Justice
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
HIGHER, FURTHER, FASTER (THAN THE TROLLS CAN FOLLOW): As with many nerdy movies lately that have been labeled as being damaging to the field, Marvel’s upcoming tent-pole film, Captain Marvel (the first from Marvel Studios to have a woman in the lead role), aggregate review site Rotten Tomatoes have been targeted by these organized hate campaigns by getting “review bombed.” This means people have taken the steps to make sure sites like Rotten Tomatoes––a site many people visit to see how upcoming movies are trending and reviewing––show a low anticipation or review score with the hope of scaring off potential viewers and condemning the film to low box office receipts. Star Wars: The Last Jedi was victim to this as was 2016’s Ghostbusters reboot and, in possibly in a successful campaign, Solo: A Star Wars Story got hit hard. However, Captain Marvel is on track to break records with ticket presales and be a big smash at theaters.
Andrew and D. Bethel investigate this continuing trend, how Rotten Tomatoes is actually, finally, doing something about this habit, and discuss how and why Captain Marvel seems to be beating the odds.
- A brief overview from Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics‘ episode about Milestone Comics:
- Shortcast 43 – “The # Age”: Where D. Bethel discussed AMC’s Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics.
- Dumaraog, Ana. “Trolls Are Already Review Bombing Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes.” Screen Rant. 18 Feb. 2019.
- Jackson, Matthew. “Captain Marvel Presales On Track to Beat Aquaman, Almost All Previous MCU Films.” SyFy Wire. SYFY, 21 Feb. 2019.
- Romain, Lindsey. “Rotten Tomatoes Is Ditching Its ‘Want to See’ Function Following a Wave of Trolling.” Nerdist. 26 Feb. 2019.
- Visit our website at forallintents.net and leave your thoughts as comments on the page for this episode.
- Join our Facebook page
- E-mail: Andrew – email@example.com, D. Bethel – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Subscribe to and review the show on the iTunes store.
For all intents and purposes, that was an episode recap.
-“Disco Medusae” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
-“District Four” by Kevin McLeod (incompetech.com)*
*Tracks are licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License